Roadside bomb kills 11 Afghans headed to wedding

Nick Mcbride
May 20, 2017

A roadside bomb has killed at least 11 civilians, mostly women and children, in Afghanistan's eastern Logar province.

"The bomb struck their Toyota sedan when they were going for an engagement ceremony", said Logar Governor Mohammad Halim Fidai.

Violence has been on the rise as Afghan security forces struggle against a surge in attacks by the Taliban since the drawdown of foreign forces over the past two years.

No group has so far claimed responsibility but provincial authorities blamed the Taliban, who launched their annual "spring offensive" last month, for the killings.

Hours earlier on Friday, a roadside bomb hit an American military convoy north of the capital, Kabul, but "no injuries have been reported", said the US military.

Separately, an Afghan policeman has gunned down five colleagues in the eastern Nangarhar province.

The explosion disabled an armoured vehicle but caused no injuries, High said.

Provincial governor's spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed the incident and said the policemen were killed by one of their comrades on Thursday night. District Governor, Abdul Wahab Momand, said after the shooting, the attacker collected all the victims' firearms and fled the scene.

Afghanistan has the highest number of mine victims in the world, which along with roadside bombs kill or wound an estimated 140 people every month. After recovering the vehicle, the convoy continued on its mission, he added.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the United Nations has criticized insurgent groups like the Taliban for using roadside bombs that often strike civilians.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER