Raids, arrests as on-edge U.K. seeks 'network' of attackers

Nick Mcbride
May 25, 2017

Shortly after the Grammy nominee's United Kingdom show ended Monday night, an explosion caused by a suicide bomber killed 22 people and injured 119 near the Manchester Arena ticket office.

Ariana Grande suspended her Dangerous Woman world tour and canceled several European shows Wednesday due to the deadly bombing at her concert in Manchester, England.

The bombing left 22 dead and more than 60 injured.

Police identified the attacker as 22-year-old Salman Ramadan Abedi.

These arrests follow the detainment of three men in the south of Manchester in connection with the attack, which Greater Manchester Police confirmed on Wednesday. He was reportedly in the process of receiving cash transferred from Salman at the time of his arrest.

There were also reports Abedi's parents were so anxious about him being radicalised in Manchester that they got him to join them in Libya and confiscated his passport.

Mr Abedi told the Associated Press his family "aren't the ones who blow up ourselves among innocents".

"I think it's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating and as I've said, it continues at pace", Chief Ian Hopkins said Wednesday.

British Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to confront President Donald Trump Thursday about leaks from the investigation into the deadly Manchester Arena attack - leaks that may have come from US officials.

May's decision came because authorities have not been able to find the bomb making factory where Abedi's suicide vest was manufactured.

Soldiers are now placed at key locations and events to protect the public and provide assistance to police.

Multiple U.S. officials with knowledge of his travel say he had previously been in Libya and may also have traveled to Syria. British officials believe he had recently returned from Libya.

On Tuesday, Britain raised its terror alert to the highest level.

The "Side to Side" artist may not be backing down against ISIS - the terror group who claimed responsibility for the latest attack, but many other artists have begun making adjustments to their tour schedules.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER