USA doctor killed on Everest was climbing tallest peaks

Nick Mcbride
May 25, 2017

The body of an Indian climber was spotted overnight on Mount Everest, confirming the fourth fatality in a week when dozens of mountaineers reached the top of the world's tallest peak.

On Monday, rescuers located the body of Indian climber Ravi Kumar, but teams could not reach the site, according to the trekking company, Arun Treks and Expedition.

In the report from the AP, it's noted that Kumar fell sick while descending the mountain after reaching its summit on Saturday.

A Slovak climber Vladimir Strba, 50, also died on Everest on Sunday, according to a Tourism Ministry official.

Roland Yearwood, 50, from Georgiana in the U.S. state of Alabama, died on Sunday but details were not immediately known, according to a local expedition agency worker. "It is also unclear if he was on his way up or down from the summit", he said.

The Mount Everest has become the graveyard for at least three more climbers, including one American, and an Indian has been reported missing since Sunday. Yearwood narrowly survived a deadly avalanche caused by a devastating Nepal natural disaster. He was married to another physician, Amrita, and had two college-age daughters.

He was trained as a doctor in London and NY and eventually settled in southern Alabama, where he had been a primary care physician for 20 years, according to his biography on the rural health center's website.

A typical spring season sees around six deaths on Everest, according to mountaineering officials.

The guide then descended to Camp IV to send a rescue team as he suffered multiple injuries due to frostbite and snow blindness, he said. Kumar and the guide got separated during the descent.

According to Chowang, when three high-altitude guides reached the place, they didn't find Kumar there. In 2015, Amrita Yearwood described the anguished wait for word of her then-husband's fate after an quake shook Everest while he and dozens of other people were attempting to climb the mountain. His body was brought the South Col camp.

Last week, Nepali climber Lhakpa Sherpa scaled the peak for the eighth time, breaking her own record for most summits by a woman.

Climbing Everest is an inherently unsafe activity with risks of sicknesses related to high altitude such as cerebral edema, a swelling of the brain that can be fatal.

The deaths - including 54-year-old Australian Francesco Enrico Marchetti - came during brief windows of good weather that allowed a push toward the summit near the end of the busiest climbing season on record.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article