'Large part' of Manchester attack network held

Hazel Gray
May 28, 2017

Mark Rowley, Britain's top counterterrorism police officer, said authorities have dismantled a "large part" of the network around bomber Salman Abedi.

Salman Abedi was born in Britain, but reports indicate he may have had contacts with extremists in multiple countries. "So that is what it will continue to do for us", she said.

Greater Manchester Police had been sharing findings with the U.K.'s national counter-terrorism unit before it was passed on to the U.S., Australia, Canada and New Zealand under an intelligence-sharing agreement called Five Eyes.

His suspected killers are still on trial.

Islamic State, now being driven from territories in Syria and Iraq by Western-backed armed forces, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Two other people were taken into custody and then released.

Just hours after the deadly bombing, US intelligence officials also prematurely leaked information about the suspected bomber which led to the publication Salman Abedi's name, as well the fact that the attack was a suicide bomb.

"When the trust is breached, it undermines these relationships, and undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their family", the statement said.

But just hours after Ms Rudd complained, The New York Times newspaper again scooped British authorities and other media by publishing photographs from the scene of remnants of the bomb.

The leak came after the name of the alleged attacker, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, was reported by United States media on Tuesday, quoting U.S. officials, before British police had released it publicly.

"I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation", he said.

Grande suspended her Dangerous Woman world tour and cancelled several European shows, including two London shows, after the bombing, which left 22 dead.

Visiting the military alliance's new $1.2 billion headquarters with fellow leaders later, Trump led a moment's silence for the victims of what he described as "a barbaric and vicious attack on our civilisation".

Prime Minister Theresa May said Saturday that a "severe" threat level meant another attack was still highly likely and that citizens should remain vigilant.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER