Trump vows crackdown on Federal Bureau of Investigation after terror leaks

Candice Alexander
May 28, 2017

"We can't directly link these to the events of Monday night and are continuing to monitor the situation", Hopkins told reporters as quoted by ITV channel.

After the deadliest attack in Britain since July 2005, police are hunting for accomplices whom they suspect helped Salman Abedi build the bomb that killed 22 people on Monday in a crowded concert hall in the northern English city of Manchester.

In more developments of the Manchester bombing which left 22 dead on Monday, police investigating the attack have reportedly stopped sharing information with the US after there had been leaks of evidence and information to the media. The anti-terror force that took Hashim into custody in Libya said the teenager had confessed that both he and his brother, Salman, were members of the Islamic State group and that he "knew all the details" of the Manchester attack plot.

"I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law", Trump said.

British officials were particularly angry over photos published by The New York Times showing remnants of a blue backpack which may have held the explosive. Hopkins said the leaks "caused much distress for families that are already suffering terribly with their loss".

A shopkeeper said he hid up to six terrified passengers in the back of his Spar store on Oxford Road while armed police and uniformed officers attended the scene. The Times didn't say where it got the information.

British investigative efforts remained focused on smashing the potential terror ring which may have assisted Abedi, despite the belief of Libyan authorities that he acted alone.

A third brother, Ismail, was arrested in Britain on Tuesday.

The brothers came to Libya on April 18 and Salman Abedi departed on May 17, Dagdoug said.

Around the United Kingdom, many fell silent Thursday for a late-morning minute in tribute to the victims.

A woman looks at the floral tributes and messages left for the victims of the concert blast, during a vigil at St Ann's Square in central Manchester, England, Wednesday, May 24, 2017.

Queen Elizabeth visited the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, where some of the casualties have been treated, and was filmed chatting with a girl lying injured on a ward. "Very wicked, to target that sort of thing".

Grande did not give a specific date in her post for her return to Manchester, but promised to share details as soon as everything is confirmed.

A total of 64 people are being treated in hospital, including 20 in critical care, medical officials said.

"If that's something that we did, I think that's a real problem", he said. Contributing to this report were Sylvia Hui in London, Rob Harris in Manchester, Frank Jordans in Berlin, Julie Pace in Brussels and Matt Sedensky in NY.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER