Rock am Ring festival interrupted due to reported terrorist threat

Nick Mcbride
June 3, 2017

One of Germany's biggest music festivals was interrupted Friday over a "possible terrorist threat", police said.

Festival organisers have said they were told by police officials to vacate the Nuernburgring site as a precaution, and more than 75,000 music fans were advised to leave the grounds.

As organizers explained, evidence of a potential terror attack led the festival to be halted. "The background to this was a concrete warning that made it impossible to rule out a terror threat".

Security for the festival had already been stepped up, with an additional 1,200 staff, in response to the May 22 Manchester bombing which occurred after a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande.

Nathalie Muckhoff, 26, who was covering the festival for a local newspaper, told CNN the evacuation proceeded calmly.

The festival in central Germany runs Friday through Sunday at an auto racing track.

In a statement, police in the city of Coblenz said they were in possession of "concrete elements, in the light of which a possible terrorist threat can not be ruled out".

We hope that the festival will continue tomorrow. "We ask all festival visitors to leave the festival site in a calm and controlled manner towards the exits and camping grounds". "We have to support the police investigations", according to a translated statement provided to Billboard by festival owner Live Nation.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER