Iran claims to have killed planner of Tehran terror attacks

Nick Mcbride
June 14, 2017

Iran has tracked down and killed several suspected jihadists including the alleged mastermind of twin attacks in Tehran last week, a security official and a minister have said.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani slammed Washington for its recent move to impose new sanctions against Iran following twin terrorist attacks in Tehran, claimed by the "Islamic State" (aka IS, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh) terror group, saying the USA government "is supporting the terrorists".

Alavi did not provide further details or offer any evidence.

Iran's Intelligence Ministry said Thursday that five of the men involved in the attacks were Iranians who had joined IS.

Today, the Intelligence Ministry announced that it had detained 41 suspects in Tehran and the western Kurdish provinces.

"Such crimes" which prove the "vice" and "humiliation" of their backers, organizers and perpetrators will not hurt "the Iranian people's determination", Ayatollah Khamenei said in the message.

They have also undermined Tehran's belief that by backing offensives against Daesh across the Middle East, it can keep the militant group away from Iran.

On Thursday, Iran's Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavai, said the country was investigating whether Saudi Arabia had a role Wednesday's attacks.

As the 17 victims were buried on Friday, Iran's current Shiite leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and parliamentary speaker, Ali Larijani, directed blame at the United States and Saudi Arabia - the nation's fiercest regional rival.

It described the suspects as "agents of Daesh", an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group, and said they included "operational teams".

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

On Tehran's enmity with Washington, the Iranian leader said "Some of the problems with the U.S. are essentially unresolvable as the US's problem with us has nothing to do with nuclear energy or human rights, their problem is with the principle of the Islamic Republic".

Security forces have launched a nationwide hunt for suspected accomplices of the attackers.

The minister said the terrorist had fled the country after the attacks claimed by the Islamic State (IS) but did not reveal his identity or the country where he was killed.

Other reports by VgToday

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER